Taxes & Utilities
Your property taxes include municipal taxes and provincial taxes that the municipality collects and then remits to the province.
Taxes are billed based on the calendar year and are due on June 30th of each year. There are several options for paying taxes. You may pay in person, use the after hours mail slot at the front door, at most financial institutions, for telephone banking or online banking. (Please check with your financial institution.)
We also offer a monthly Tax Installment Payment Plan. Please visit the Tax Installment Payment Plan page or contact 780-895-2010, email@example.com for more information.
Official News Release:
2022 Tax Information
THE 2022 COMBINED ASSESSMENT & TAX NOTICE WILL BE MAILED MID-MAY. TAXES ARE DUE JUNE 30, 2021.
Outstanding tax account balances after June 30, 2022 are subject to the following penalties:
July 1: 12% January 1: 18%
How are property taxes calculated?
A tax rate is the rate of taxation applied against the assessed value of property within a municipality to collect the revenue required by the various taxation authorities. Normally the tax rate is expressed in mills (dollars in tax per thousand dollars of assessed property value) or sometimes as a percentage of an assessed property's value. For example, a tax rate of 1.5% on a property valued at $100,000 would require a payment of $1,500 in property tax. Council sets the mill rate annually, with the current rate showing in the Taxation Bylaw.
How do I pay my taxes?
Tax Payment Information:
Taxes are billed based on the calendar year and are due on June 30, 2022.
There are several options for paying taxes:
- After hours mail slot - located in the east door of Town Office located at 5307-50 Avenue, Lamont
- At most financial institutions (Roll number is your account number). Allow at least 3 days for receipt of payment
- Mail to: PO Box 330, Lamont, AB T0B 2R0 (Make cheque payable to the Town of Lamont and include remittance portion)
- Telephone or online banking (Choose Lamont (Town) Property Tax, Roll number is your account number)
- Monthly Tax Installment Payment Plan
- E-transfer - using email: firstname.lastname@example.org include your Roll number as reference
- Credit cards are now accepted for tax payment through OptionPay.
What if I have questions about my property assessment?
Review your property assessment notice to ensure:
- Your name and address are correct
- The property classification (residential, farmland, non-residential) correctly describes your property
Next, compare the assessment on your notice to the typical market value of your property as of July 1 of the previous year. You may compare your assessment to the assessments of other properties similar in size, age, quality, condition and location.
TO CHECK THAT YOUR PROPERTY ASSESSMENT IS FAIR IN RELATION TO OTHER SIMILAR PROPERTIES IN TOWN, YOU MAY VIEW THE OTHER PROPERTIES TO COMPARE TO HERE.
Assessment Value Information
The assessment value amount that is on your notice is an estimate of the market value of your property as of July 2021. The assessor used sales leading up to July 2021 to establish the assessments.
You are encouraged to talk to an assessor if you have concerns about the assessment as it relates to your property value in July of 2021. Please also keep in mind that the assessor does not set the tax rates in the municipality, and therefore cannot answer questions about property taxation. Nor can they answer questions about the amount of services you receive. For tax rate questions, for questions about services, or for general inquiries please contact the Town Office.
Once you have compared your new assessment to its previous year's market value and to the assessment of similar neighbouring properties, and if you still have questions or concerns about your assessment, contact the Town's Assessor, Tanmar Consulting Inc.
Need more information - check out the Guide to Property Assessment and Taxation in Alberta
How do I file a complaint?
If you are not satisfied with the assessment after talking with an Assessor, you may file a complaint with the Assessment Review Board.
To file an assessment complaint to the Assessment Review Board:
- You must complete an ARB Complaint Form. If you are using a tax agent, please complete the Agent Authorization Form as well. The forms are also available at the Town Office. Form(s) must be filled out completely by the assessed person or taxpayer of the property, including the reasons for your complaint. The Assessment Review Board cannot hear matters that are not listed on your complaint. Be prepared to present your evidence at the hearing.
- The appropriate fee(s) must accompany the complaint form - $50.00.
- The form(s) must be returned by the date specified on the front of this notice (except for linear property) to:
Town of Lamont
Clerk, Assessment Review Board
P.O. Box 330
Lamont, AB T0B 2R0
Note: An assessment complaint does not exempt you from paying taxes on time or from late payment penalties. If a complaint is successful, the adjustment will be applied to your tax account. Refund requests must be made in writing.
Click here for tips for preparing for your hearing.
Property Tax Rebate Program
This program allows for prospective developers to apply for a property tax rebate up to three-years, offering an incentive to developers to invest in Lamont. This program supports economic development attraction initiatives for the community. Click here for more information.
Lamont receives its water supply from Edmonton, via Bon Accord/Gibbons, giving the system the capability of meeting the requirements of a population of over 10,000 people.
Water and sewage consumption, as well as, garbage and recycling fee ares billed on a bi-monthly basis.
There are several options for paying utilities. You may pay in person, use the after hours mail slot at the front door, at most financial institutions, for telephone banking or online banking please check with your financial institution.
After hours emergency: 780-719-6865
FORTIS: for service inquiries or problems call 310-WIRE(9473)
To report a street light outage, fill out this form.
ATCO Gas: General Inquiries - 310-5678
24 Hour Gas Emergency - 1-800-511-3447